Are you fed up of always feeling like you ‘have to’ get in shape for party season?
I used to too. And I used to permanently fight an internal battle between wanting to look good like everyone should in their Little Black Dresses under the mistletoe AND actually not giving a cr**!
Post after post on getting into shape and advert after advert of the perfect pre-Christmas low calorie diet blitzes, I know can drive many women mad this time of year. It used to me, too.
So here are the 10 ways I turned it around AND felt fab for the festive season!
1. I used to feel all of things, until I started to see exercise and eating well as an art of self-care not as punishment. For me now, getting focused before the fun at Christmas as just a way of balancing out the indulgences coming my way, another act of self-care. It isn’t about self-loathing or feeling like I have to do something to fit in. It’s a choice and a choice I make with good grace because I love looking after myself.
2. Eating extra well and training hard (or even better SMART!) this time of year is not just about fitting properly into my favourite party dress, not at all. It’s about ensuring my body has good immunity for winter and the way I feel about my improved health and strength. I like a fitness challenge too and because I’m a single working Mum of three I can’t be on a total fitness mission 12 months of the year. I choose to have mini missions and November is definitely one of those times – once the kids go back after half term that’s my cue for a food and fitness up-level, not to mention some ME time!
3. It’s definitely not about me feeling that I should do something. Because I create all the rules in my life and don’t do things to please others, only to please myself. Notice I use phrases like ” and ‘I create‘ rather than ‘I must’, ‘I ought to’, ‘I’d better’, ‘I should’ etc. When you choose what you do, it’s an entirely different energy.
4. Just because I have extra focus this time of year, it doesn’t mean I let myself go around it, it’s just a positive little mission. I enjoy the challenge, I enjoy the focus and I enjoy the journey (especially working alongside lots of my amazing online clients as I do the bootcamps with them), the results that I get from doing this are a bi-product really.
5. I don’t like myself any more or less because I do or don’t fit into a dress. It’s nice to look good, but I don’t think you really look good without feeling good, both in terms of energy and inner sparkle, i.e. how you feel about yourself. Feeling good about yourself comes from better self-esteem and if women think better self-esteem comes from being smaller, they are very much mistaken. It took me years to work that out which is why my bootcamps are about helping women accept the way they are whilst making positive progress if that’s what they choose and want for themselves.
6. The traditional diet / fitness industry approach is based on making money from helping women stay stuck. By keeping them on the yo-yo, self-loathe, beating themselves up way of life. But I’d like to think that all the women who do my bootcamps (and they all come with a 100% recommendation by previous clients who’ve done them by the way – check out the TESTIMONIALS HERE) learn how to get results by being efficient AND keep them by learning to be committed and consistent.
7. I also realised that my attitude towards the so called ‘societal expectation’ was in my control. You may not choose what adverts or blogs that are out there, but you can choose whether you read them and how you respond to them. I now look at adverts and I ask myself whether what they are selling fits in with my values and comes from an authentic business / person that I want to buy from.
8. I love and I mean LOVE to indulge at Christmas. And I have a saying that’s it’s not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that’s the issue, it’s what you eat between New Year and Christmas that really matters! So I know what I intend to fully indulge in over the festive season which means my body could do with some extra nourishment to balance that out and as I’m likely to gain a few pounds (happily and guilt free I might add!), I like to knuckle down and get some calorie expenditure banked ha ha!
9. I exercise for my mental sanity more than aesthetics. It’s my absolute natural go-to anti-depressant as well (my life is very challenging as a hard working single Mum of 3!) And this time of year I think people under-estimate the power of endorphins and mental wellness as we head into the crazy season. The more you exercise the easier you can cope… FACT!
10. Sometimes it is nice to have a little ego goal – there is nothing wrong with that! I’m nearly 43 and I can at times feel very haggard and exhausted. I love training hard for all the authentic reasons above but actually I DO personally love to show off my body in a little black dress and go ‘Look at me… I created this strong body… and I’m proud of it!” Ha ha!
So if like me, you want a November focus or challenge and you’d like to be part of a POSITIVE fitness experience that will help you become fitter, stronger, healthier and encourage you create more self-care and self-love, come and join me!
Choose from the Tummy ATTACK, Best Body, SELF-CARE, SugarHIIT or Busy Women’s bootcamps that start on either Monday 28th October, Monday 4th November or Monday 11th November.
They are currently on sale for just £39 too, down from the full price of £99!
CLICK HERE for more info and to grab a place!
For anyone that hasn’t done one of my online bootcamps before, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how great they are and what you can take from them, in terms of food, fitness and lifestyle information and inspiration.
If the online bootcamps aren’t for you but you struggle with mindset and creating your own life on your terms, you might want to consider my annual BEST program that is running for the 7th time next year. You can check out the hundreds of testimonials from previous clients and this program too comes with a 100% recommendation from previous participants 🙂
As always, if you’re unsure about whether one of my programs is for you or which program to do, please email the office and I’m happy to talk to you.